Reporting on Good E-Reader this morning, Michael Kozlowski has revealed that Apple will host an event in New York later in January and speculates that it may herald the launch of a self-publishing program for iBooks that will rival Amazon‘s DTP and the Barnes and Noble Pubit platform. As yet nothing formal has been stated by Apple.
“Apple is going to be holding an exclusive event in New York city later this month to possibly launch a new program for their iBooks and Publishing platform. Sources close to the matter have told us that they intend on launching a new digital self-publishing platform to get peoples content into the iBookstore. This is a huge step forward for Apple to compete with Amazon (DTP) and Barnes and Noble (Pubit).
One of the only ways to get listed into the Apple iBookstore if you are an independent author is to go through a 3rd party such as Smashwords. They assign you a free ISBN for choosing them and they will submit your books to iBooks and tons of others.”
AllThingsD this morning pointed out the significance of Apple’s Senior Vice-President of Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue, will play a key role at the event, suggesting the launch will be service and media driven and not the launch of a product. Up until now, authors could only use third-party services like Lulu and Smashwords to get access to the iBook store. If the speculation is accurate, then it will be a significant move by Apple to take on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
- Report: Apple To Hold Event In NYC. Publishing, Advertising In The Mix? (moconews.net)
- Report: Apple To Hold Event In NYC. Publishing, Advertising In The Mix? (paidcontent.org)
- Apple pushing publishing at its next event? It should be. (gigaom.com)
- Rumor: Apple iBooks Event in New York This Month (wired.com)
- Apple’s rumored NYC event will be all about iBooks: report (digitaltrends.com)
- Smashwords: Smashwords Year in Review 2011 (teleread.com)
- Apple NYC event about iBooks, seen as minor industry meet (electronista.com)