Several media sources – including The Bookseller – are reporting this morning that the Office of Fair Trading in the UK is to examine Amazon‘s announced acquisition of online book retailer, The Book Depository. The OFT has formally invited interested parties to forward written comments to their office. The move by the OFT was not unexpected and written comments will be accepted on the matter up to July 18th. It is believed the primary issue for the OFT will be the potential ‘lessening of competition’ on the UK market. It is expected the OFT will determine by August whether to refer the acquisition to the Competition Commission for a formal investigation. The acquisition also remains subject to regulatory approval in the UK.
The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has announced it is to investigate Amazon’s acquisition of The Book Depository.The official body has issued an “invitation to comment” notice asking for written representations about “any competition or public interest issues” with Amazon’s move to acquire the UK-based online book retailer, which was announced yesterday. A spokesman for the OFT said the invitation “effectively starts our merger enquiry”.
- Breaking News – Amazon Reach Agreement To Acquire The Book Depository (mickrooney.blogspot.com)
- Amazon’s Bid For The Book Despository: User Backlash And Regulatory Inquiry (paidcontent.org)
- Amazon swallows UK online bookseller (go.theregister.com)
- Go Read This | Amazon to Acquire The Book Depository – Yahoo! Finance (eoinpurcellsblog.com)
- Terrible News – Amazon To Buy Out Book Depository (mgpcpastor.wordpress.com)
- Amazon Buys U.K. Competitor (adweek.com)