The Irish Writers’ Centre has today launched an interesting showcase style competition for aspiring first-time novelists. You can download an application form here.
From the press release:
Irish Writers’ Centre Novel Fair Competition
We are launching a brand new competition at the Centre. The inaugural Irish Writers’ Centre Novel Fair for first-time novelists will take place on March 10th 2012. The Novel Fair aims to introduce up-and-coming writers to top publishers and literary agents, giving novelists the opportunity to bypass the slush pile, pitch their ideas and place their synopsis and sample chapters directly into the hands of publishers and agents.
A judging panel of experienced industry professionals will be asked to select a shortlist of successful entries, presented to them anonymously. There is no limitation on style, genre, or target market, the only requirement being that the writer has not published a novel before.
Publishers and agents will be invited to come along on the day to the Irish Writers’ Centre and meet these writers in person. Each writer in attendance will have a stand at the Fair with copies of the synopsis of their novel, the finished novel itself and biographical material.
Representatives from Penguin Ireland, Transworld, O’ Brien Press, Lilliput Press, Hachette Books, Liberties Press, Little Island and Arlen House will be present on the day. Literary agents such as Marianne Gunn O’ Connor, Yvonne Kinsella, Emma Walsh, Ger Nichol and Paul Feldstein will also be present.
This is an incredible opportunity for first-time novelists.
For terms and conditions please click here.
Deadline for submissions: November 11th 2011
For more information or queries e-mail:
- Seminar on Publishing Poetry and Short Stories – July | Irish Writers’ Centre (mickrooney.blogspot.com)
- Irish Writers’ Centre Celebrates 20 Years with Sebastian Barry Reading (mickrooney.blogspot.com)
- From Submission To Acceptance | The Memory of Trees (mickrooney.blogspot.com)
- The Blagger’s Guide To…Literary Agents (independent.co.uk)
- Irish PEN Chair, Joe Armstrong’s, speech at AGM, Thursday, 12 May, 2011 (irishpen.wordpress.com)